Monday, September 3, 2012

Welcome to Gospel Fundraising... whatever that means

I don't like the title of this blog.

"Gospel Fundraising".  What does that even mean?  Is that some kind of modern-relevant-missional-organic trendy Christian-insider speak for plain ol' regular fundraising?  Is "gospel" even allowed to be an adjective?  Or maybe it's an adverb.  Or one of those other parts of speech that you learned back in junior high and forgot five minutes after the exam.

But I digress.

I don't like the title of this blog, and I'm scared that you won't like it either.

It's a scary thing to write a blog.  You're talking out into the world, sharing your thoughts, dreams, desires and fears, hoping that someone will be listening and might even like what you're saying.  You're constantly terrified of being rejected, being poked fun at or, worst of all, not even realizing that no one cares.

Kinda like fundraising.  And that's why I'm starting a blog.

I'm not sure if "Gospel Fundraising" is a good title.  I'm not even sure if it's grammatically correct.  But every time I talk with a Christian who is trying to raise funds (myself included), I'm left wishing that I could show him or her a fuller picture of the gospel than our time together allows.  I want to tell them that the gospel frees us to fail.  It frees us to put ourselves out there and be rejected.  It frees us to have blog titles that aren't perfect and phone calls that are awkward and appointments that don't result in support.  Because of the gospel - the completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross for all our sin and imperfections - we are fully accepted and loved by a gracious God who desires to give us good things (Romans 8:32).

There are already plenty of resources out there to teach you the methodology of good fundraising and the tools of effective fundraising, so this blog will focus on how the gospel impacts fundraising.  My prayer is that God will use this blog to encourage the fainthearted whom He has called to a great work, but who are scared of fundraising.  My hope is that if you, like me, find yourself staring at your phone or your computer rather than doing the fundraising you know that you need to, you might be able to stop by and read this blog for a few minutes, remember the gospel (the reason you're doing the fundraising in the first place), and then get back to doing your work while trusting in a Savior who completed His.

Like this blog title, your work needn't be perfect - because Jesus is.

No comments:

Post a Comment