Thursday, November 29, 2012

Refresh: Funding the Opposition

"Good news refreshes the bones." - Proverbs 15:30b

This is part of an ongoing series called "Refresh", named for the verse above. "Gospel" means "good news", and so it seems appropriate to highlight tales of God providing, especially in amazing, fun and unexpected ways. Names and other details are modified just enough so as not to incriminate the innocent... or guilty! May this tale help refresh your bones!

- - - - - - - - -
The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He will. (Proverbs 21:1 ESV)
Back when I was in college, I strongly disliked the boyfriend of one of my roommates. In fact, it would be fair to say that I hated him at first.

Despite that rocky beginning, we grew on each other and became good friends. He's involved in politics and runs several campaigns for people around the state. He spends a lot of time doing fundraising for large organizations and he's really good at it. The problem is that he's not a Christian and is quite outspoken about it.

Despite that, when he discovered that I was also doing fundraising he initiated us getting together for an appointment.

So we met one morning and had a good time catching up for a while. Eventually he got down to business and flat out asked me what my needs were. I responded by explaining that I wanted to share about what I'd be doing in my ministry and then we'd get to the money part.

He told me to save it - he didn't want to know about any ministry. He only wanted to give!

I replied that I generally ask for $100/month. Without blinking he said, "Okay. I'll write a yearly check."

I was amazed at the awesome way God provided support from that appointment, especially given our history and his anti-God mindset.  He even joked afterward that he'd be supporting me and I'd end up training people who would then work against him!

Years later, I still pray that God would use my donor's gifts, our relationship, our newsletters and whatever else He sees fit to bring my friend to Christ. Would you please pray with me?

Submitted by "Jackie"

No comments:

Post a Comment