Thursday, November 8, 2012

Refresh: The Wise Big-City Pastor

"Good news refreshes the bones." - Proverbs 15:30b

This is part of an ongoing series called "Refresh", named for the verse above. "Gospel" means "good news", and so it seems appropriate to highlight tales of God providing, especially in amazing, fun and unexpected ways. Names and other details are modified just enough so as not to incriminate the innocent... or guilty! May this tale help refresh your bones!


- - - - - - - - -
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9 ESV)
Early in my fundraising experience, I traveled to a large city and met with a pastor there. I felt intimidated and was having a hard time believing he'd be interested in supporting my ministry. Because of that I did a very "soft" ask for financial support. I was apologetic and felt embarrassed. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing and only saw myself as a beggar

At that point this wise pastor stopped me and said, "You are an ambassador for the King. And this is God's work. It is a noble work. You don't ever have to apologize for asking for support for God's work!

This made a big impression on me and changed the way I asked for support on future appointments.

Submitted by "Brad"

No comments:

Post a Comment