Friday, January 30, 2015

Asking for help

It's been a while since the last Gospel Fundraising post!  No, I didn't die.  Or quit fundraising.  But I did end up getting a new role that requires me to think about fundraising basically every single day.  This means that I simultaneously have much more to write about and less time to do it =)  But I've committed to doing it more regularly again.  May God use these further musings as a blessing to those who make their living from the gospel. -Tom

- - - - - - - - -

My 2-year-old has a fascination with eating icicles.  For the past several weeks, every time he looks outside our bathroom window, he beholds these big, dripping triangles hanging from our roof.  His little voice then calls out: "Daddy, can you help me get one?"

Meanwhile, my 5-year-old has a fascination with Legos.  He still mostly wants to follow the instructions, and so it's fairly common for him to stare in confusion at the picture indicating where to place a particular piece.  His little voice then calls out: "Daddy, can you help me with this?"

Daddy, meanwhile, has a fascination with saving money.  I enjoy doing small-to-medium-sized home projects, but it's fairly common for me to get to a point where the next step is no longer obvious.  The thing simply won't come off or fit in or turn on or whatever else.  In those cases, do you know what I call out?

Usually... nothing.

It's tragic that somewhere along the line I lost the childlike dependence on "Daddy".  Perhaps it's pride.  Or the "self-made man" American mindset.  Or an "orphan mentality".  Regardless, it's hard for me to ask for help from anyone.  And especially from God.

Yet, in areas like fundraising and ministry, it should be way, way, way obvious that I can't do it!  I can ask for support, but God has to lead others to give.  I can lead a Bible study, but God has to change others' hearts.  I've tried doing both those things plenty of times without God and seen the sad results.  And, thankfully, I've also tried doing both with God and seen results well beyond what I could have expected.

Here's how Jesus puts it:
I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you.  (Luke 11:9, ESV)
and
Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  (John 15:5, ESV)
My two- and five-year-olds know that they need help to get what they need; God-fearing fundraisers would do well to follow their example. Are you short on contacts? Has your support level plateaued for weeks or even months? Has your time in the Scriptures been dry for a season?

Have you asked for your heavenly Daddy's help?  Why not do it right now?

Soon enough, by God's grace, you'll be enjoying your tasty icicle, completed Lego and/or fulfilled support goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment