Thursday, May 21, 2015

Not done fundraising? That's a good thing.

When the support is flowing in, it's easy to see God's goodness in your life.  But when things slow to a crawl - or even a standstill - do you still believe He's good?


King David is a man well-versed in enduring hardship, and God often had him wait.  Yet consider David's perspective:
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
    I have no good apart from you."
The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
    You hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.          (Psalm 16:2,5-6, ESV)
David is convinced that God has given him good, satisfying provisions.  David's "chosen portion", "cup", "lot" and "inheritance" are all pleasing to him.  In fact, he has no goodness at all except what comes from God.

Honestly, there are plenty of times when I'm not so sure I believe that.  When I spend a night making calls that don't yield any fruit, those lines don't appear very pleasant at all.  It feels like they've fallen on dry ground while the lush, green grass I yearn for is off in the distance.  If God is holding my lot, why won't He hand it over?  I agree that have no good apart from God, but He's obviously keeping it to Himself right now.  What's going on, Lord?

Perhaps the problem is in my definition of what is "good".  See, I think I know where I want the lines to fall.  I can't see how anything else could be as good.

But God does. 

He holds our "lot" (other translations say "future") and from His perfect vantage point, He's putting the lines in the best possible place that He can imagine.  (And He's pretty imaginative!)  In fact, if we could see everything as God sees it - and if we were as good and loving as He is - we'd put those lines exactly where He did.  And we'd call it beautiful.

Jesus knew this, which is why He could say, "Not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22:42).  He could also ask, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46) while also declaring "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (Luke 23:46) as He hung on the cross.  Jesus knew that things didn't always feel good or look good, but He had no good apart from His Father.

And neither do we.

So what would it mean for you and I to believe this?  Consider:

  • Is fundraising taking longer than you wanted?  God is holding your lot and your future is secure.  And He'll pour it into your lap in His perfect timing.
  • Did your networking opportunity not pan out as you'd hoped and prayed for?  The lines have still fallen for you in pleasant places.  Your prayers did not go unanswered; rather, you'd have made the same choice if you were so wise and good as God is.
  • Did a donor stop giving?  Your inheritance is still breathtakingly beautiful.  It hasn't changed a bit.
  • Is it tempting to ignore the Lord and look elsewhere for satisfaction (Ps 16:4)?  Sure it is!  But don't bother.  You'll find no good apart from Him.

Friend, if you're still in the middle of a difficult season of fundraising, don't fret. Though it doesn't feel like it, that's actually a good thing; it's a chosen portion for you from your Creator.  And one day, when you get a full view of the inheritance He's prepared for you, you'll have only one word to describe it:

Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment